Pages

Friday 6 January 2012

Settling in alright... But need a job!

Today is the third day of my London adventure. Here comes a brief summary of what I have been up to during these first few days.

I landed at Heathrow on Wednesday afternoon. My landlady was kind enough to pick me up from the airport and after about an hours drive, we arrived at this village I am staying at. I spent the rest of the day unpacking my things and getting cosy in my new, single bedroom. It is a light little room in a former council house (insert your frown here), but it has been refurbished recently. Needless to say, it is perfect for me, as I don't have a lot of things and don't need a lot of space.

This village is about 40 minutes train ride away from the London Bridge station, so it's not too far away from the city centre. The area is quite leafy and airy, and I have to say, very idyllic! I never thought that a place this close to such a big cosmopolitan city could be so relaxing and... quiet!

However, as much as I enjoy this room and this area, I have to admit that I would like to experience the big city living and am looking for a room in a more central area. This desire is partially this is due to the fact that I need a job and most jobs I am interested in are in the central London area. Also, after spending a year in a town that was too quiet to my taste I am longing to have a bit of a cosmopolitan experience. So, we'll see how things go.

After unpacking and settling in on Wednesday, I hopped on to the train on Thursday and spent the whole day just walking around in Central London. I treated myself to a small salad lunch at Carnaby Street in a little Italian salad bar. It was a lovely little moment - just drinking coffee, eating salad and looking at people, who were mostly tourists. I had to pinch myself for I was feeling so happy. I am finally here, after all the hard work!

I was also asking around for jobs, but most stores said they want people to apply for the jobs online. So today, I am going to spend the day looking and applying for jobs online. At the moment I am not too picky - I could do waitressing, retail, an office job... Anything to earn me some pocket money, really.

Partially because of money issues, I might have to defer my university place until next year. I really want to do the MA course and I already have the tuition fees saved up, but if I can't get a job NOW I won't have anything to live on, really. That is why I might have to begin the course in January 2013 instead.

I have to say, I am not too worried if I start the course this year or the next year. After all, it's just one year. I think spending one year working and getting used to things could be beneficial for me. At the moment it seems like there's so many changes in my life, all happening at once, that I can hardly keep track. Maybe a "slowly but surely" approach would be better at this stage.

To conclude, I really do feel like I am "Melly In Wonderland". Everything is so exciting and new I can hardly contain myself. Here is a little music choice that kind of describes how I'm feeling at the moment:

No comments:

Post a Comment