Pages

Tuesday 31 July 2012

Oh Olympics, escape extravaganza

For the past few weeks, it has been impossible to escape the big O-word. It has been what everyone has been talking about. Olympics this, Olympics that. Transport for London issued guidance regarding travelling during the games months ago, and we had a few meetings at work regarding commuting. We were even taught how to access our computers remotely if we were unable to attend work for some reason.

Although many Londoners were excited about the prospect of hosting the biggest sporting event and the cultural activities associated with it, I decided to join some of my fellow citizens in abandoning the city - for the first week, anyway. I departed London last Friday, on the opening night of the games, and watched the impressive ceremony back at my parents place. And wow, it truly was amazing!

As a result of the Olympics, the accommodation fees for hotels and hostels have skyrocketed, so many Londoners have decided to cash in by renting out their rooms for the duration of the games. I decided to do the same for the time I am away. I rented my room out to a friend couple, so there was the obvious friend-discount, but upon seeing the prices others were charging, I felt disgusted. Money talks, in this sense too. Not only have we paid millions of pounds in taxes to fund the Olympics and the train/underground/bus service maintenance associated with it, but now people are charging ludicrous amounts for short term stays. Although I desperately need money for my university fees, I could not overcharge with good conscience. People can be so greedy... it's awful. All they see are sterling signs.

I shall return next Sunday, so I won't miss all of the Olympics shenanigans, but this little break from London has been rather refreshing. I might post more about the games later, but for now... I am enjoying my mini-break out of the city and watching the games from my parents' couch :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment